Last week we began by integrating the OBB downloader plugin for Android into our build. As this feature is only usable for Google Play distribution, we further extended it so that it is not included by mistake in i.e. Amazon builds. To do this we used Unity’s Platform Dependent Compilation capabilities, and specifically custom platform defines. So each time we choose to use split binary, we will also include a custom platform define to enable the OBB check inside the particular build. Uploading to Alpha was a bit messy, what with key signing and all that kerfuffle, this post helped a lot.
Quite some time was also spent in fixing a nasty shader bug that plagued the developers as well as our eyes: all the scenes that used a rolling texture, suddenly showed these textures as solid black. This bug to the clipping multiply shader only appeared on the device, but never in the Editor. It turned out that NGUI required the shader assets to be inside the Resources/ rather than just the Assets/ folder.
On the peripheral side we completed some of the offline specific components that had been started the previous week and started to work on the online component that will be talking to the server. In parallel, we created the infrastructure for storing player metrics. We also continued our cross-platform abstraction efforts by working on a way to store data persistently on the device through a unified interface. And a last, but difficult task, was to polish and standardise the procedure through which we merge our libraries and plugins into the Unity project.
That’s all for last week!